Thursday, June 11, 2015

Another Cammie Goes to College

Cammie Goes to College

I first wrote about what was my then lone Cammie Goes to College doll back in March of 2013 here. The post shares detailed information about this 11-1/2-inch 1990s doll that represents an African American college-bound student destined to attend a historically black college or university (HBCU). In the prior post I indicated I regrettably sold the other three differently dressed versions of Cammie Goes to College that I previously owned.  Thanks to a special doll friend, I now own two of this line of vinyl dolls that were United Negro College Fund endorsed.


Cammie is dressed in a red two-piece fashion, the top of which has a Kente cloth-print sash.  Red high heels complement the fashion.  Her extra outfit is a white jogging suit that has College Bound CB (within a circle) on the shirt in blue lettering. A pink plastic comb and brush are included to comb her mounds of black rooted hair.  Like the other versions, a parental guide (which is fully described in my previous post) is also included.

I love Cammie's full facial features (take another look at the first photo) and the fact that the doll was manufactured by a company that was located in Detroit, Michigan:   College Bound Concepts.  Note that the graphics on this doll's box differ from my other doll's box.  The manufacturer's name is also slightly different from the name shown on the other doll's box, which is College Bound Dolls, Inc.  The cover of the parental guide for this doll is also different from the other doll's guide.  These variations lead me to believe the two were manufactured in different years.  I am not sure which doll was released first.

The smile this Cammie placed on my face when I opened the shipping box in the post office lobby returns each time I think about her and the person who so kindly replaced the one I sold.

A huge thanks is again extended to the thoughtful gift giver.

dbg

8 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have never seen this doll before but I have seen the headsculp used before by a doll line with a different name. I think she look like Condoleezza Rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms. Leo. K-Mart sold a line of fashion dolls during the 1990s that used this head sculpt. They wore simple sheaths and other fashions. I had several; sold all but one. She wears a simple floral-print sheath. Her name is Crystal. I really like the broader features of this head sculpt, which I believe was only used for black dolls.

      I just remembered a blog post written about Crystal. See it here.


      dbg

      Delete
  2. I was watching a nude doll of her on eBay, it didn't state what type of doll she was. I love the fact that she has a more African American face sculpt with the wide nose and fuller lips. I should've bought her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nude doll could have been Crystal (shown at the link to my reply to Ms. Leo's comment). It could have been another Cammie. I just checked eBay but only found completed auctions for NRFB Cammies that all sold for $6 or $7 plus shipping. Hopefully others will show up so you can grab one.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Her face is just perfect. I'm happy for her that you were able to get her back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Farrah Lily! I am glad she found her way back home (or one just like her) :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Nice. This is my first time seeing her.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!