Monday, March 28, 2011

Introducing Stacey McBride Irby’s Prettie Girls! OWP


Super-talented doll designer, Stacey McBride-Irby


After amicably ending a several-year career with one of the leading manufacturers of dolls, Stacey McBride-Irby’s contribution to the doll world will continue as I excitedly reported in my blog: Stacey McBride-Irby + One World Doll Project.

In an effort to gain full details about The One World Doll Project and The Prettie Girls! OWP, I immediately contacted Ms. McBride-Irby with an interview request. She and the company’s chief marketing officer, Ms. Bettie DeBruhl, graciously granted the following interview.

Note: My questions are preceded by the initials, BDC (Black Doll Collecting), and SMI (Stacey McBride-Irby) precedes Stacey’s answers. OWP abbreviates One World Prettie.

BDC: Stacey, how important was it for you to create an inclusive doll line that represents more than one ethnicity?

SMI: It's more than important; it's the impetus for The One World Doll Project. What will begin as a focus on filling a market niche in the Multi-cultural doll category that has largely gone unsupported by the three major toy manufacturers, will eventually become the worldwide leader in the design, manufacturing and marketing of the most diverse and innovative dolls and doll products. That's our plan!

BDC: Your plan sounds exciting! Does each doll have a name? If so, are you able to share these?

SMI: I'd be very excited to share with you and your readers the name of the very first doll in the Prettie Girls! OWP line. Her name is Sophia; and because she is the first, we are making her the most special!

We are celebrating the "one world" ideals that were ushered in by the Obama administration in 2008 and commemorating the historical president's run for re-election in 2012 by introducing Sophia as a Commemorative Obama 2012 Collector Doll! Unlike the other Prettie Girls! that will be introduced early next year as fashion playline dolls for the online retail segment, Sophia will be introduced as a Limited Edition Collector’s Doll, in two styles: Casual, ready for the campaign trail in her Obama 2012 T-shirt, stylish cuffed Capri jeans and trendy stiletto heels; and Formal, ready for the White House Ball, with a beautiful electric royal blue gown, trimmed in sparkling silver, accented by encrusted jewels and garnet stones. Both dolls will be offered for $49.99 and are available for pre-sale on the website at http://www.obama2012dolls.com/.   There will also be 2,012 signature edition collector dolls available, hand-signed by me, numbered and certified, with a commemorative Obama 2012 pin and Obama 2012 T-Shirt. These dolls will retail for $149.99 each and are also available for pre-sale today.

BDC:  Wow!  I just viewed the images of Sophia.  She is fabulously special!  Stacey, please tell me more about the other dolls.  Describe their overall characteristics to include their height, hair type (rooted or wigged), eyes (inset or painted), material from which they are made, and any other information that parents or collectors would appreciate regarding their appearance?

SMI: Prettie Girls! OWP are 11.5-inch (29.21cm) fashion dolls. They will have rooted hair of different colors and unique styles to match their personalities. The dolls will come in 4 different skin tones, molded in PVC. Each doll will have a One World Prettie message that girls can connect with. Let's meet our Prettie Girls!

The Prettie Girls! are more than just a name. We wanted to make sure their names would represent the true character and ethnicity of how we wanted each girl to be perceived.
  • Lena is African American and is smart and sophisticated.
  • Kimani is from Africa; she's beautiful and sweet.
  • Valencia’s name means health and strong; she's from the Dominican Republic.
  • Dahlia is from India; she is gentle and considerate. Readers can go to http://www.prettiegirlsowp.com/ to get their full bios, to connect and fall in love with each Prettie Girl! OWP.
  • Our Collector’s Doll, Sophia is the role model to the girls and is "The Wise One." Collectors can go to http://www.obama2012dolls.com/ to read more about Sophia.

BDC: I’m in love with the dolls already. Collectors and little girls love pose-ability. Are the dolls jointed, if so where?

SMI: Yes, The Prettie Girls! will be jointed at the neck, shoulders, elbow, under the breasts, and at the knees for complete play and pose-ability.

BDC: You did say the dolls are fashion dolls, right?

SMI: Yes, The Prettie Girls! OWP are playline fashion dolls that will be introduced early next year for the online retail market—styled for play yet full of soul and rich with diversity! The first Prettie Girl! Sophia, the Obama 2012 Collector's Doll, available for pre-sale today, is also 11.5 inches (29.21 cm) in height.

BDC: What demographic is your target market?

SMI: What's exciting about The One World Doll Project is that we'll be marketing dolls that everyone will love and cherish! The Prettie Girls! OWP dolls will be designed for children ages 6 - 12, but the collectors' dolls are for collectors of all ages.

Our collectors' dolls will be the most stylish works of art and a vital part of a valuable growing collectors' market that will appeal to the most sophisticated and serious collectors, as well as to the novice consumer.

Our fashion and play dolls will be competitively priced and readily available to purchase online and shipped anywhere in the world, so the sky is the limit!

BDC: Global shipping will certainly please international customers.  You've shared Sophia's price.  How much will the other dolls cost?

SMI: The Prettie Girls! OWP dolls will be competitively priced for the market ranging between $19.95 and $24.95, and as mentioned, the Collectors' dolls will start at $49.95.

BDC: When and where will The Prettie Girls! be available (major stores, your website, or other sources)?

The Prettie Girls! OWP Obama 2012 Collectors Doll will be available for pre-sale starting Monday, March 28, 2011, on our website: http://www.obama2012dolls.com/ and will ship to consumers the first week of December 2011, just in time for Christmas. Our playline dolls will be available on our site for purchase, Spring 2012.

BDC: Will additional products be sold separately (extra fashions, accessories, books, etc.)?

SMI: We will be developing a series of story books and fashion packs, as well as some limited school supply items, such as notebooks, pens, etc. As the line continues to grow, we will add accessories for the complete play experience.

BDC: Stacey, I've taken up enough of your time, but before we conclude, please share any additional information about The Prettie Girls! and/or other dolls planned for the future.

SMI: As there is a void in the marketplace for dolls of color, we will certainly be looking to fill that void as well in the TV space. The One World Doll Project wants to give girls a positive story to embrace in an animated series. We will also continue to nurture relationships and build our collector line by designing dolls for affinity groups, non-profit organizations, and celebrities.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I wish to personally thank, Stacey and Bettie for allowing me to conduct the first in-depth interview regarding The One World Doll Project and Prettie Girls! OWP. Stacey, I am delighted that your doll designs will continue and hope they continue for many years to come. The doll market needs more designers whose lines are inclusive of dolls representing the diversity of mankind for every child (young and old-er).

Readers, for more information about The One World Doll Project; their debut doll, Sophia; and the rest of The Prettie Girls! OWP, visit the websites listed below and please support the company’s endeavors!

One World Dolls:  http://www.oneworlddolls.com/
Obama Collector's Doll, Sophiahttp://www.obama2012dolls.com/
Prettie Girls! OWP:  http://www.prettiegirlsowp.com/

dbg

Please adhere to copyright notice (see bottom of blog).

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information, BDE!

    I look forward to seeing the actual dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uow!!
    The "Black Doll Collecting" is offering the best about the last news of the doll's world!
    This interwiew with the great Stacey
    is very very cool!!
    Congratz,Debbie...Again Heheheheh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. D7ana - you're welcome. I look forward to the same, but have preordered anyway.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    Thank you, Jorge for your unwavering support!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely interview. The cartoon depiction of the dolls is cute so I can't wait to see the actual Pretty Girl dolls.

    Is it just my opinion.....or does the Obama 2012 doll actually look a tad bit like the singer Rhianna?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Hugs. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

    Hmmmm... interesting comparison that I had not noticed until you mentioned Rihanna.
    :-)

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and BTW, Hugs, welcome back! I missed your online presence.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just made my day! Thanks for interviewing Stacy and getting the inside scoop. 11.6in and poseable; music to my ears! I am so excited for her. I was a little concerned about the word "Prettie", but after reading the dolls bios, I totally get it now. I like the idea that they are doing an Obama 2012 campaign doll. I will be creating a link to this post, if I can figure out how. I will also be tweeting it directly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanessa - I'm glad you enjoyed the interview and gained more insight into the Prettie Girls! OWP.

    Please do spread the word about this new line of dolls. I'm sure Stacey and the other One World Project team welcome the exposure.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview Debbie! Looking forward to seeing the whole line of dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! I can't wait to see real pics of the dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please tell me they will have heads that are in-scale. I need something that works with Happy Family, Heart Family, SIS, etc.

    Please tell me Valencia is NOT blonde.

    Please tell me the Indian chick does not have green eyes. there are about as many green-eyed light-skinned Indian chicks in India as there are in Africa - it's glorification of the exception. Again. (see Mattel)

    I love the Obama chicks "face mold" I hope we see lots of variation in face molds. the majority of people in the world have black hair, brown skin and ebony eyes. The variation comes from their bone structure. I know new face molds are expensive...but (??)



    Why no Asian?

    Are they all going to have long straight hair and wear high heels all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that people in the world see and understand the importance of representing diversity in products marketed towards children. I think that it is wonderful for children to experience interactions with dolls of their own race as well as all the others races in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the Affiliate idea is brilliant. I hope they push marketing more through an Avon type model than a Target/Walmart/Kmart model. THe fact is, they can blow tons of money marketing to the masses or they can spend very little using word of mouth. People who teach their children certain "conscious" ideals seek each other out. THey can save a ton of money on marketing for the company, just by talking to each other.

    Second, I think the American Girl model of Book + Character could be much more effective than the same four girls over and over. Plus a single release of a chracter drives up demand. Why not a 1:6 version of the early American Girl model - the model they used that led to the current frenzy. There's so much about American girl that could be replicated on a smaller scale.

    I thought Stacey was going to do something significantly different. I love SIS and I want to see her break through other barriers. I am just not sure this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One more thing - I work as computer analyst - I am not afraid of computers and I let my daughter use computers. But I NEVER use the computer codes for games offered as add ons for dolls. Liv, Bratz, Dora - none of that. It's too much work for too little payoff. I think a web presence is fine but I think this new Webkinz thing where the company has to have new games for every product release is a little off. I don't by barbies and LIV so my daughter can go online. I buy them for her time OFFLINE. How do others feel about this? For me, give me books - not games. There are plenty of games already out there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristl - I understand where you are coming from about the computer codes, but it is a fine line to walk. A company has to sometimes do things they don't want to in order to remain in business. I don't do the computer codes either, but I would imagine there are tons of little girls who do. Yes, it would be nice to get them to separate doll time and computer time, but for some of them I would imagine they wouldn't do doll time, if there wasn't on-line stuff attached. I would also imagine that some of them find the computer stuff first then gravite to getting the doll. I must admit, I found the LIV online videos last week, and I was hooked. It was a great way for me to get more diorama ideas. As long as they produce great ethnic/international dolls I am fine with them jumping on the on-line bandwagon if it means more exposure to the dolls and more people buying them. I think books can be incorporated, too. But have you seen the number of book stores going out of business. You got to make money in order to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any word on when the Prettie Girls will be out?

    Okay, I am avid to know ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi D7ana.. no word yet. I'll try to find out.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!